Thursday, January 22, 2009

Southern Inauguration Thoughts




Well, well, well.......what have we here? A new President and First Lady in the White House, a new leader of the free world. How come my southern heart doesn't beat excitedly as the TV and newspapers tell me it should? Could it be the goofy way President Barack Obama stepped up on the platform? Could it be the blundered swearing in? Maybe it was the way the crowd booed the departing President. Tasteless! Tacky! Low Class! All those thoughts came to mind as I watched. The CRAZY poem, the butchering of a classic patriot song by Aretha, or maybe, just maybe it was the speech filled with nothing, other than telling the whole world that we will be "friends" with EVERYONE. "How rediculous", "Oh my gosh", and "are you kidding me?!" were the only statements I uttered as I listened. I watched with great amazement as the crowd shouted in unison "Obama, Obama, Obama". It scared me, and reminded me of things I had seen on TV in third world countries.

We are Americans, and our ceremonies, especially those of such importance as the Presidential Inauguration should be conducted with decorrum, taste, and general etiquette. The Capital grounds should have been filled with ladies and gentlemen, dressed in their Sunday best. Instead it was filled with puffy NFL jackets of all different teams, hoodies, stocking caps, and baggy pants. The Capital grounds were left in a shambles with tons of trash littering the ground for miles. Not the mark of civilized folks to say the least. Maybe everyone was too busy crying and chanting to worry about little things like how to dress, and how to dispose of trash properly.

The Inauguration Ball made my Southern heart cringe. It looked like a Hollywood night club, only the attendees weren't as pretty as the little hotties in the night clubs. Obviously as a good southern girl, I don't agree with the President's policies, but I never thought the office of President would or could be degraded to such an extent as I saw on this day. It makes me sad to see the age of chivalry, class, and taste has completely passed. I for one will continue to strive to promote Southern ideals in my home and in my community, but it will be an uphill battle with a first family that likes to "get jiggy with it". I should've known we were headed for trouble when the Obama's appeared on the Ellen Degeneres show to show off their dancing skills. But one can still HOPE for CHANGE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I so enjoy getting your comments...be blessed my friends!